Monday, February 22, 2010

The Giver By: Lois Lowery


The Giver is a very addicting book. This is the second time that I have read the book. I am glad I had the opportunity to read the book again for this class. I first read this book in 8th grade. Each time I have been addicted to the book and not wanted to put it down until it is finished. I remember that when I first read the book I was confused though some points in the book. I was able to comprehend what was going one better this time around, but was still confused at the end of the book. There is a lot of complexity near the end of the book. I think that Lowery's style of writing is what kept me so drawn to the book. She speaks of a world that to me seems so unbelievable which is what I think made me so interested in the book. The writing is so unique that I could easily imagine what what was happening as I read each page. Although I find this to be a great and interesting book I do not think that it a book I would choose for students to read until they were in 7th or 8th grade. There are a lot of issues that I do not think children should be reading until they are mature enough to discuss the issue. Some of the issues include death of children and elders who are not "healthy." There area also some sexual issues that I think a chill need to mature enough to discuss before reading. Other than having some issues of maturity level and having an unclear ending I think this is fantastic book. It is on the that shows and discusses the great ideas of appreciation, love, and freedom. If I am given the opportunity I would read this book again, and I would recommend this book to my students if I feel there are mature enough for some of the issues mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment