Monday, March 1, 2010

The Stupids Take Off By: Harry Allard


This book is very funny. But why does the name stupid need to be used. I think the book would have been just as funny if the author would have used a different name that is not offensive. I do not think that book is appropriate for school because the word stupid is not appropriate for school. I would not want a students in my classroom saying the word stupid, therefore I do not want my students hearing of reading the word stupid either. Seeing, hearing, and reading the word stupid in a book only causes children to want to say the word more. I think the character in the story story are very funny and play their roles well. The pictures do a great job of adding humor to the story, but this is not a book that I would all in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Janelle- I completely agree with you, why does the author find it necessary to have the last name of the family "Stupid?" I think the book is funny enough with out the "Stupids" thrown into it and more students and children would be allowed to read it if it didn't have that last name. I haven't read this book in particular, but I did read "The Stupids Die", and it was the weirdest book I've ever read-none of it made sense really. I hope this book was a little better...

    ReplyDelete