Monday, March 1, 2010

Manneken Pis By: Viadimir Radunsky


I have mixed emotions about this book. I loved the pictures. The painting of them made the book really come alive. I also liked the historical point of view that the book brought about. The picture of the Manneken Pies statue on the last page is really neat. I think the book touches upon war which may help discuss war a little easier with students. The issues I have with this book is that I do not think that promoting the idea that children should just pee wherever they want is a good thing. I think using this book to help discuss war to seven or eight year old is fine, but I do not think that is book should be read to a three year old. I do not feel like most three years old should be exposed to the fighting that happens in this book. There are also some sad and dark parts of the story that I do not feel are appropriate for younger children. Like I said before there are aspects of this book that I think are really cool, but I also have issues with this book. I would have to continue to think about whether or not I would allow this book in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment