Monday, January 25, 2010

The New Girl By: Jacqui Robbins


I thought this was a very next explaining the difficulty that a student goes to when they are the new kid. I feel like all of the events that take place in this book are very realistic to events that happen when a new student enters a new school. I liked how the author and the illustrator put a variety of races into the book. I really enjoyed how the first person to become friends with the new African American girl was a White girl. It would be a great book to add to a unit for multi-cultural education. I think this would be a great book for a teacher to read to students on the prior to receiving a new student in their classroom. The author added a twist into the book by attempting to explain that one reason nobody waneted to be friends with the new girl was because the only thing she wanted to talk about was her iguane. I think it be a little difficult for students to make the connection between the iguana and why the new girl was not liked, but overall a very good book for students to read or listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment